I am setting off on a wee adventure this week. I will be hiking through the Grand Canyon with my folks. So excited! I have spent about 200 miles of exploration and searching in the depths of this majestic place over the past 13 years. The Grand Canyon is a place where I seem to stumble upon, as well as, seek out the utmost clarity! Is it possible to do both? Seek out and stumble upon? I would say yes! My father turned me on to this land of freedom and spirituality. It will be his 70th birthday on Thursday!
I believe I will hike out with more connection emotionally, spiritually and physically than I start my downward trek with! As my pack gets lighter, so will my body. This I can guarantee. And you all know I will be sharing these revelations with you!
One of my clients asked me today what I find so “spiritual” about the Grand Canyon. (Thank you CL for asking!)
“It is a place that is void of distractions. It assists me in quieting my mind and truly being present. Connecting with nature is the quickest way for me to truly connect with my spirituality and god. It is in this quietude that I am able to truly hear and listen. Ponder that. There is a glorious resonance in the quiet.”
No cell phones. No computers. No internet. No distractions from social media. No cyber fixes. None. Period. Oh the nonsense! It will be amazing and liberating! INSTA THIS is a little riff on my view on this exact topic! Enjoy!
So as I venture off on another blessed adventure with my folks I ask you this…
- What will you be doing this week that will add spice and pizzaz to your life?
- What will you venture out to do externally and internally?
- Who will the character of your life story be?
- What dream will you create?
Lastly, this is a fun entry back on May 19, 2014. Just over a year ago: Effing Marshall. I outlined my favorite part below:
Musts in the Grand Canyon:
1. Good Shoes…that you have worn in. “Is that person wearing Keds? You got it. That nasty toe nail blister is called Canyon Toe.”
2. A trail guide. “Ummm, no Ma’am, the Colorado River is at the bottom.”
3. Food. “Enough for the ENTIRE time you are hiking, no more, no less and no cheese.”
4. Ear plugs. “Oh wait, thats if you are hiking with a roaring lion like my dad…and many other wonderful men I know.”
5. Deodorant. “Just because you are hiking in the Grand Canyon i.e. Nature…doesn’t mean you can smell like onions and pee.”
6. A head lamp. “BUT IF YOU SHINE THAT THING IN MY FACE ONE MORE TIME, I WILL THROW MY CAN OF TUNA AT YOU!”
7. Funny-as-hell men that will make you laugh the entire time. “My favorite hike: My dad, and his 4 buddies. Hands down, the funniest, most entertaining and educational trip of my life.”
8. A visor. “Yes. Visors are cool in the GC. I promise.”
9. Dice: “Well, you may have a few hours to kill. Why not do it in a “non-competitive” sport. Right Mom?”
10. Duct Tape. “Because Macgyver said so!”
11. AND NO DOOBIES!
Love and Longing, Rebecca